Export ban on wheat to continue in the current year
New Delhi: The ban on export of wheat and wheat products will continue in the current year, a senior government official said on Tuesday.
The ban had been imposed in May last year due to reduced wheat output.
"We will not allow exports of wheat," said Subodh K Singh, additional secretary, department of food, adding that the country is not a primary wheat exporter and has exported wheat only when there's been a surplus.
The Centre's procurement of wheat, crucial for keeping its wholesale rates under control, is much below the target of 34 million tonnes despite prices continuing to increase.
The procurement by Food Corporation of India (FCI), which purchases wheat on behalf of the government, stood at 26.14 million tonnes on May 21, and is expected to touch 27 million tonnes by the time government procurement and the harvest season draw to an end.
The government will be left with 8.5-9 million tonnes for open market interventions, said Singh.
The procurement in Uttar Pradesh, the largest producer of the grain, has dropped to 2.09 million tonnes from the estimated 3.5 million tonnes.