- Guide to Apply for Importer Exporter Code Number.
- IEC Application Form from DGFT.
- Eligibility, Application Fees, and other formalities to apply for IEC Code.
IEC Code (Importer Exporter Code)
IEC Code is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce, and Government of India to the Companies. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number.
Registration for IEC Code :
An application for grant of IEC number shall be made by the Registered/Head Office of the applicant and apply to the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade. Only one IEC is issued against a single PAN number.
IEC Code Online Application Form :
The application form can be downloaded in PDF or Word. This is called "Aayaat Niryaat Form - ANF2A". Along with IEC Code Number Application Form it is necessary to submit Appendix-18B Attested by Applicant's Banker in his letter head with two passport size photo).
An IEC number allotted to an applicant shall be valid for all its branches/divisions/units/factories as indicated in the format of IEC.
Application Fee For IEC Code Number
Application Fee: Rs 250.00
Mode of Payment: Demand Draft of any Bank or Payment through Electronic Fund Transfer by DGFT Nominated Bank like HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, UTI Bank, Punjab National Bank, Central Bank etc. Application fee also be deposited by TR6 Challan with Duplicate Copy in any branch of Central Bank of India .TR6 Challan need to be submitted along with IEC Code Application.
Filing of Application
Application can be filed online on DGFT website. Every application for Import/Export license/ certificate/ Authorization/ permission or any other purpose should be complete in all respects as required under the relevant provisions of the Policy/Procedures and shall be duly signed by the applicant as defined in paragraph 9.9 of the Policy. An incomplete application is liable to be rejected giving specific reason for rejection. In case of manual applications, the applicant is required to furnish a soft copy of the application in MS word format.
Profile of Importer/ Exporter
Each Importer/Exporter shall be required to file importer/ exporter profile once with the Regional Authority in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form - ANF2A’. Regional Authority shall enter the information furnished in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF-2A’ in their database so as to dispense with the need for asking the repetitive information. In case of any change in the information furnished in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF-2A’, importer/exporter is required to intimate the same to the Regional Authority.
Exempted categories for IEC Number :
The following categories of importers or exporters are exempted from obtaining Importer - Exporter Code (IEC) number:
- Importers covered by clause 3 (1) [except sub-clauses (e) and (l)] and exporters covered by clause 3(2) [except sub-clauses (i) and (k)] of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from application of Rules in certain cases) Order, 1993.
- Ministries/Departments of the Central or State Government.
- Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Nepal provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
The exemption from obtaining Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) number shall not be applicable for the export of Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipments and Technologies (SCOMET) as listed in Appendix- 3, Schedule 2 of the ITC(HS) except in the case of exports by category(ii) above.
Mandatory Requirements to apply for IEC Code Number :
- PAN Number
- Current Bank Account.
- Bankers Certificate.
- IEC Code Number Application Fee Rs 250.00 ( It is highly recommended to pay via EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer ) and submit IEC Online Application form, to receive IEC Number instantly).
- The physical application containing required documents should reach DGFT RLA concerned within 15 days of its online submission.
- E-mail is not mandatory. If it is provided it will facilitate faster communication.
Documents required to apply for IEC Code Number :
- Covering Letter on your company's letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
- Two copies of the application in prescribed format ( Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF 2A ) must be submitted to your regional Jt.DGFT Office.
- Each individual page of the application has to be signed by the applicant.
- Part 1 & Part 4 has to be filled in by all applicants. In case of applications submitted electronically.
- No hard copies of Part 1 may be submitted. However in cases where applications are submitted otherwise, hard copy of Part 1has to be submitted.
- Only relevant portions of Part 2 need to be filled in.
- Rs 250.00 Bank Receipt (in duplicate)/Demand Draft/EFT details evidencing payment of application fee in terms of Appendix 21B.
- Certificate from the Banker of the applicant firm in the format given in Appendix 18A.
- Self certified copy of PAN issuing letter or PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card issued by Income Tax Authority.
- Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the Banker of the applicant.
- Self addressed envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan/DD of Rs.100/- for speed post.